Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It's not the

Cold

That will do it, it's the

Wind.


Last night, the BRW (Beautiful Redheaded Wife) and I, went to a "Gardening in Containers" class.  We went because I'm a City Kid – with caps.  Hey! I've never lived lower than the eight floor, and couldn't identify a tree unless I looked down upon the leaves.  Turn a leaf upside-down, and I hadn't a clue what I was looking at.

The class was held in Wells, Maine: 30 miles south, starting at 6:30 PM lasting until 8:30. Sixty miles round-trip; not too shabby, and the weather was holding at 40 degrees F (4.444444444444445 C.  Ah, the weatherman, so precise and often so inaccurate).

So donning our heavy (and I mean heavy) jackets, cinching on the chaps and sliding on the winter gloves, we zoomed away.  Okay, with two-up on the Elite, it wasn't quite a ZOOM, but, you get the idea.

The class was informative: got to ask questions like "Does the container need to have holes?" and "How do you know when a cucumber is ripe?": heavy stuff like that.

Then..... the ride home.  The Sun was long gone, and the wind decided it wanted to ride with us – or rather, against us.  It was one miserable ride home.

So, to paraphrase: It's not the cold, stupid.  It's the wind.

8 comments:

  1. The container class sounds fun.

    Riding home in hard winds does not. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed to both your comments. Ah, but Spring is just around the corner - if we can just get to the corner!

      Delete
  2. Mike:

    I'll bet having a BRW on the back is very comforting when confronting cold winds

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AT my back is great. ON my back is really rough!!

      Delete
  3. So kind of you to shield your BRW from the brisk head winds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's what she said. Me, I could only nod frigidly!

      Delete
  4. I'd take two up in those conditions. Your back and her front stayed warm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and, truth be told, I'd rather be two up and frozen solid than to be warm and toasty with any one else!

      Delete